Travelling solo can be an unforgettable experience.
Going off on your own and ‘doing you’ without compromise is a liberating feeling, but the thought of going it alone for the first time can be scary, too.
If you are considering taking a solo trip, here are 10 tips to help you make the best of it:
- Do some research before you go. Check travel advisories and forums to make sure your destination is safe and traveller-friendly.
- Don’t wear expensive clothing and jewellery or flash money.
- Let someone know about your plans and stay in touch. Give them an itinerary and contact information where they can reach you.
- Stay in well-populated areas, especially at night, and try to avoid looking like a tourist.
- Pack essentials like ID, money, important documents, and a change of clothes in your carry-on in case your luggage is lost or stolen.
- Register your trip with the Department of Foreign Affairs and International Trade Canada so the government can send you important updates about the area you are visiting or notify you of personal emergencies at home.
- Avoid paying extra as a single traveller by staying in hostels, using couch surfing services, or booking with a company that pairs single travellers together.
Having a good time
- Solo travel is a great time to meet new people, but keep your guard up. Don’t be afraid to tell white lies like, “I’m meeting a friend here,” until you feel your new acquaintance is trustworthy.
- Get to know the local staff at hotels, restaurants, and coffee shops. These people can tell you a lot about the best local spots for sightseeing and shopping.
- Don’t be afraid to push your limits and try new things. Solo travel is a great time to embrace self-discovery and personal growth.
Visit Park and Jet Calgary's Reservation Page to get a parking estimate before you fly. Posted: Thursday, June 21st, 10:00am 10 months ago